Rejoice always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I'm a... marathoner?????

YES, that's right!  I ran a MARATHON!  26.2 miles and I cannot wait to do it again!  The feelings as I crossed the finish line to the cheers of my family were ones I cannot even put into words.  Pure joy, disbelief, accomplishment, exhaustion, sadness, but most of all an intense feeling of proud.  I had actually done it!

The day started really early, I needed to get to the runners bus at 5:30.  It was cold, windy, raining, and overall very dreary but the runners bus was very lively and fun!  Everyone was comparing stories, clapping for the 1st timers, and getting everyone pumped up.  I found the other runners, not just on the bus but during the entire race, to be incredibly motivating and inspirational.  There was a gentleman that was running his 100th marathon, a woman running that has lost 100 pounds and counting, a few with disabilites... I could go on.  We got to the start and the rain had eased up, leaving us with only a few sprinkles but it was freezing and we couldn't wait to get started.  I found my place and chatted with a few other runners while "Eye of the Tiger" was blaring over the loudspeaker.  I was SO nervous and teared up a few times because I was so scared and second guessing myself.  The train whistle blew and we were off!  I had one of "those" runs- my shoelaces were bothering me, my clothes were bothering me, my Ipod earbuds were bothering me, etc.  I'm sure it was just my jitters but it stuck with me through the whole run.  The elastic went out on my pants so I had to safety pin both sides.  Looking back on it, I can laugh but it was a nuisance at the time.  Miles 1-6 went fine, I was enjoying the other runners and the unbelievably beautiful course.  We ran from Two Harbors to Duluth and the views were amazing.  My cousin John and his girlfriend Erica were volunteering at the Mile 7 water stop so I stopped for a chat and a hug before moving on.  Dan and my cousin Jessica met me at Mile 9 so I yet again stopped to chat and get a hug before moving on.  I had my IT Band strap on my right leg but my left one was acting up really bad.  I would run for a while until I couldn't take the pain anymore, then walk it off.  I ended up doing this for most of the race so I was not happy with my time, but oh well.  I ended up stopping at one of the First Aid tents to see if they had anything I could wrap it in but all they had was an ace bandage.  I didn't want to be that restricted, and I knew there were a ton more First Aid tents if I needed it, so I declined and moved on.  A few of my mantra's on my tough miles- "Run, Walk, Crawl, JUST KEEP MOVING", "Pain is weakness leaving your body" (courtesy of my Marine Corps Father in law), and "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".  I had a rough, rough, rough mile 16.  I was hurting, I was tired, I was ready to be DONE.  Then I saw her- a spectator in a wheelchair holding a sign that said "There will be a day your body cant do this.  TODAY IS NOT THAT DAY".  Well, it doesn't get any more motivating than that!  I wish I could go back and give her a hug because that was exactly what I needed to hear.  I kicked it up a notch and tried to lose myself in music and scenery.  Dan and my cousins met me at Mile 19 with some high fives and words of encouragement and I continued on.  The spectators coming into town were amazing, full of signs and cheers for people they didn't even know!  The college kids were out in full force, and were good for a giggle. There were signs everywhere with words of motivation.  My favorite- "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon".  I made it to Mile 20 and I gave a loud cheer, we were in the final stretch!  Adrenaline, cheering spectators, and that finish line motivated me that final 6.2 miles.  I made it to Mile 25 feeling pretty good but that last 1.2 miles were the toughest.  I just wanted to be done running!  I came around the corner and there was my sister in law Ellen with her mom and my beautiful niece Harper.  I of course had to stop and coo at my girl for a minute and then I was off to the finish line.  Crossing that finish line was nothing short of amazing.  I am incredibly proud of myself.  I'm proud of myself for even having the guts to try, I'm proud of myself for making it through some pretty tough training runs, and I'm proud of myself for pushing myself past the pain towards that finish line.  Most of all, I'm proud of myself for being able to pick myself up from the floor after my mom's suicide and continue on with my training during the biggest tradgedy of my life.  It was so tough to continue on and not give up on my dream.  And while I selfishly would like her here to be celebrating with me, I know my mom was looking down on me while banging on that tin pan with a spoon that used to embarrass my brother and I beyond belief, yelling "THAT'S MY GIRL!!!!".

Jessica and I at Mile 9.  She made really cute shirts for me.

Hurting at Mile 19

Off again after some words of encouragement

Finish Line!



Jessica crying while Johno gives me a congratulatory hug

Grandma's Marathon FINISHER!

Post race food and a beer!

My bib and the picture of the boys that comes with me on every race

My cheering squad, celebrating with me that night


Eli and his bear trying on my medal

3 comments:

  1. Jen, I am a blubbering mess reading this. YOU are inspiration. I am SO proud of you, and even more proud to call you my friend. I love you girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny...I know where Jess gets the blubbering!!! I felt like I was right there with you on your run. You are such beautiful person! Never forget you are my favorite niece :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I cried through most of this post. What an inspiration you are! I will not be running one myself, but for a brief moment while reading I thought about it. I love you. This is the first time I visited your blog spot... You are a beautiful writer. Your words flow off the page.

    ReplyDelete